When a hardware upgrade is necessary for the storage environment, what should be done with the older, legacy hardware?
Despite claims from the manufacturer, data storage hardware can have a longer useful life than the end-of-life data suggests.
Repurposing hardware can help enterprises to avoid purchasing brand new, expensive arrays by applying their legacy hardware to other projects to reduce total cost.
Deploy Legacy Storage for Affordable Expansion
Recoup the value of your legacy or EOL storage hardware by repurposing it for the following projects: archiving, disaster recovery, backup to disk, storage tiers, or hardware credit.
- Backup to Disk: Deploy a legacy Data Domain platform to facilitate faster and easier backup to disk. Still backing up to tape? A legacy Data Domain or older EMC storage array with high capacity drives, like EMC SATA drives, could help you upgrade your backup system and save time on backups, all while remaining inside your budget constraints.
- A Tier 2 Storage Platform: Add high-capacity EMC SATA drives to a legacy EMC array to create a Tier 2 storage environment that boosts drive capacity for a growing storage environment. Adding a storage tier not only makes the array more efficient, as it also optimizes drive capacity to increase application performance and improve speed.
- Disaster Recovery Hardware: Expand or improve your disaster recovery plan when you deploy legacy storage hardware to a disaster recovery environment. Since upgrades made to production often have to be matched at the disaster recovery site, legacy hardware can be an affordable option for reduce the cost of mission-critical disaster recovery hardware.
- Archive Target: Use legacy hardware as an archive target to make data archiving faster and more effective. Swap larger, high capacity SATA drives or SAS drives for more expensive fibre channel drives to create a cost-efficient archiving target for a variety of applications.
- Cash or Credit: Sell your remaining legacy hardware to third party storage vendors who can offer cash or hardware credit for your legacy hardware. Asset recovery is a great way to recoup the value of your legacy hardware and make hardware upgrades a possibility. For example, upgrading to a SAN director could be within your budget’s reach when you trade in your legacy CX3 for a hardware credit.
Need advice about how you can recoup the value of your legacy storage hardware? Talk to a dedicated Reliant Storage Specialist today for legacy hardware solutions from storage experts you can trust.