If you still have EMC CLARiiON hardware in your storage environment, you’ve more than likely contemplated upgrading to an EMC VNX or VNX2. You may believe making the switch is inevitable. However, that is not necessarily the case.
Making the decision to upgrade or keep your current hardware can be a very difficult decision where you have to balance cost, technologies, and ROI.
In order to help you make the decision as to whether or not upgrading is right for your organization, we offer these bits of advice as to whether keeping your CLARiiON or upgrading to VNX is the right call for you.
Stick with CLARiiON if….
• You want to use Fibre Channel & SATA drives. The VNX and VNX2 does not use Fibre Channel or SATA drives. Instead, the VNX and VNX2 series use SAS, NL-SAS, and SSD drives. So, in order to repurpose your existing CLARiiON FC and SATA drives, you must continue to stay with CLARiiON hardware.
• You want to hold off on high maintenance costs. Just because your CLARiiON hardware is End of Life doesn’t mean that you can’t find an affordable maintenance and support options. Third-party maintenance can meet your maintenance needs all while saving you some cash!
• You are interested in SSD drives but think VNX is your only option. The CLARiiON CX4 series, CX4-480 and CX4-960, both support SSD capacity and cave save you money all while adding the additional capacity needed to fix your performance bottlenecks.
• You think you HAVE to upgrade because EMC says CLARiiON is EOL. Just because EMC may not sell CLARiiON parts anymore doesn’t mean that you can’t access them. Many third-party storage vendors continue to provide support and parts for CLARiiON hardware long past the EOL date.
Consider upgrading to VNX if…
• Your organization requires the most powerful system on the market. The VNX and VNX2 has a 6 Gb/s backend, more front-end ports, and up to 10 Gbps bandwidth speeds making it one of the most powerful mid-range systems available on the market. And while the VNX and CLARiiON systems share some similar functionality, if your organization requires the latest and greatest, then consider upgrading to a VNX.
• A Unified storage environment is a priority for your organization. While EMC CLARiiON hardware only provides block storage, the VNX is designed to do more. With the ability to store block, file, and object storage in a single unit, the VNX enables multiprotocol storage for enterprises of all sizes. The flexible and intuitive VNX hardware can help your enterprise optimize hardware usage and achieve greater productivity with simplified management tools.
• Your environment needs at least 1,000TB of raw capacity. The CLARiiON CX4-960 can provide a maximum of 960TB of raw capacity, but cannot compare to the massive capacity offered by some of the VNX and VNX2 models. The smallest raw capacity offered by a VNX2 is that of the VNX5200, which still provides 500TB of storage. However, the VNX8000 has an impressive 6PB of raw capacity – making the VNX, with its power and scalability, a great option for high-capacity environments.
Whether you’re sticking with your CLARiiON system or upgrading to a VNX model, reach out to us at Reliant via chat, email, or phone to help you get the right option for your organization the first time.