By Dan Barber
With the release of VMware vSphere 5.5, there is corresponding release of VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) 5.5, with some new features. These features aren’t just cool—though they certainly are that—they are extremely practical.
1. Excellent pricing. In a recent survey performed by Reliant, almost half of respondents indicated that they were actively researching Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery (BCDR) initiatives, and over a third said that BCDR was their top priority. VMware SRM now lists at $4800 for the license, which includes protection for 1 vCenter server and 25 virtual machiens (VMs). Coupled with used storage, budget constraints can be removed for your BCDR initiative.
2. Protect branch offices. Many businesses today are operating with unprotected branch offices. Why? It was impractical to go through the huge expense required to protect just a few workers—the downtime actually cost less. But with SRM 5.5, companies can easily replicate and protect branch offices to the main datacenter—without having a vCenter server at the branch site. This means all a business needs is some more storage to which to replicate the branch office.
3. Non-disruptive testing. One of the biggest issues with BCDR today is that most businesses don’t test their practices. As a result, when the time comes and the DR event occurs, the failover action or the DR site doesn’t function properly. With SRM 5.5, a test can be executed non-disruptively, and then cleaned up automatically, generating a report that can be submitted to senior leadership.
4. Application Dependencies. Replication is not enough: the recovery process needs to be intelligent enough to restart services in a hierarchical fashion, so that critical services startup first (a database server, for example) before dependent services (the web application querying the database server). SRM 5.5. does just that.
5. Preemptive Disaster Recovery. Using SRM 5.5, you can now manually initiate a failover and run from the DR site. If you live in a disaster-prone area, you know that many time the disaster is not as bad as predicated. But why take the risk?
6. Multiple Recovery Targets. With SRM 5.5, you are no longer limited to a single target. One vCenter can replicate to and from up to nine other targets (10 total), each with or without its own vCenter. All you need is some storage at the remote site. We can help.
VMware Site Recovery Manager 5.5 gives removes the traditional barriers to Disaster Recovery initiatives, and used storage from Reliant does the rest.