By Kyle Christopher
Many customers choose NetApp for its flexibility and “plug-and-play” usability. This blog will share some important features of the NetApp DS2246. If you are looking to add capacity, the DS2246 is a great choice for many reasons. It offers flexibility by providing the user a variety of choices when it comes to drives. You can choose among hard drives, SSDs and self-encrypting drives, or if you need massive amounts of capacity, the DS2246 allows you to expand to meet your storage needs.
Whether you need high-performance or high-capacity, the DS2246 provides both with industry-leading simplicity. Here are a few of the added benefits these disk shelves can bring to your storage infrastructure.
1. Optical Serial Attached SCSI (SAS). Optical SAS allows you to add disk shelves to your NetApp storage and not be as concerned with distance as a limitation. The result to the end-user is greater flexibility and resilience.
2. Cross-Platform Leverage. Do you have a kit environment? No problem. The same drives and shelves work across all FAS and V-Series storage platforms. If you don’t want to purchase additional media or data migration, you can upgrade your controller without any disruption.
3. Flash. Imagine reducing the number of spindles you need for performance by 75%. Self-managing Virtual Storage Tier technologies, including Flash Pool, optimize data placement so that you get the performance you want.
4. Enterprise-Class Resiliency. Full redundancy is standard in all DS2246 shelf designs. Advanced features from NetApp offer you superior data protection and maintenance for advanced error recovery to protect your data. The optical SAS noted above delivers high-performance, low-latency connectivity across extended data center distances up to 500 meters.
5. More Security. Security will be a big concern for CIOs in 2014. The DS2246 can utilize self-encrypting drives that enhance data security and prevent unauthorized data access. Data managers will need to be current on all hardware and software as well as ensure that all hardware is currently covered under an active maintenance plan. Data managers can now take advantage of third-party maintenance and support, which can provide dedicated services at a better price and can be customized to fit any environment.
Visit our DS2246 product page for more information or to contact us for a price.